Wednesday, November 25, 2009

To Hell and Back

If you ever tell someone "Go to hell" in the future, just know that you're sending them to Chicago, IL.

My plans for a fun-filled evening driving to the city, grabbing some dinner at a fun restaurant, and just enjoying our time, well - they went to complete shit.

Our drive started off fine. We listened to my CD of Nsync Christmas songs, made fun of the guy who was driving on the highway with a seatbelt hanging out of his car door, and planned our evening of fun. Once we neared Chicago-land, though, the fun officially stopped when we sat like this...:

...for at least an hour. We were at Exit 33 and needed to get to Exit 41. No big deal, right? Wrong.  We actually got off early because, using my handy dandy GPS system on my iPhone, I found that we could take a different route that didn't involve an interstate. Unfortunately for us, my genius plan backfired because that road was just as busy and had stop lights.

Luckily for us, just as we were nearing Jenna's house, we saw this awesome sign:


If you can't quite make that out, it says SENIOR CITIZENS. Whhhaaa????!!?! They get their own signs??? I was rolling with laughter.

We broke into Jenna's house We got Jenna's neighborly friend to let us into the house and rescue our cake, and then asked for some good eating advice. "No, don't go to downtown Chicago, there's awesome places like TWO blocks up! Everything you could want!"

So we head two blocks up, and actually manage to find our way to this magical location. Great, right? Well, I have no idea where all these amazing restaurants are that he was talking about (probably the opposite direction than we turned), because we didn't find any. In attempt to turn around, we actually just went far out of the way, and gave up on the whole "two blocks away" idea. Then we spotted a cute little diner place that we decided to try. Problem? They claimed parking was on a certain street but I would have died before I found that street, and been re-incarnated before I was able to GET to the street.

We were both officially fed up with being lost, one way streets, and the traffic, so we decided to ditch the eating in Chicago thing and head for home.

I'll spare the story, but it took longer to get to the freeway than it took to get from the freeway. Then, we passed the entrance ramp to get on, turned around, and found that there was no way to get on from that direction. So we waited in ANOTHER traffic line once we turned around a mile away.

::sigh::

We ended up eating from a drive-thru once we got close to home.


The good news? The cake is here, in one piece, and it looks awesome.

Tom and I will be avoiding Chicago at all costs until we've recovered from our horrible experience.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to the city, kid, them's the breaks.

    We just got home - thanks for the tip! Hey, I also forgot to tell you during my war with the red food coloring I kept reading how bitter it makes food taste. Since red velvet cake is just chocolate cake with a lot of dye, I made the executive decision in favor of a better tasting cake. So . . . it's plain chocolate. I hope that's okay!!

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY AIDEN!! Ya lil monkey ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - the ad schedule is targeted at the afternoon market, 1:00 PM and 2:15 PM are heavy rotation times but other than that I don't know when it will run. Thanks for listening for me on The Lite though - that is really sweet :)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is a scathing and unfair review of the city. Just so you know, city people feel the same about the suburbs....except we don't have traffic to complain about, instead we complain about how boring it is there...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm, I don't know that it was really a "review" of the CITY, it was more a review of our experience on this particular day.

    I lived in Boston, I'm a city girl, and so I've actually been able to live the pros and cons of each. But that's just it - there's pros and cons to each.

    ReplyDelete